AMON G. CARTER FOUNDATION
AMON G. CARTER FOUNDATION. Amon G. Carterqv and his wife, Nenetta Burton Carter, of Fort Worth incorporated the Amon G. Carter Foundation in 1945 and funded it in 1947 with $8,511,712 from the sale of their Wasson Field oil interests, 60 percent coming from Carter and 40 percent from his wife. The foundation received a substantial portion of Carter's estate after his death in 1955. In his will, Carter requested that the foundation establish a museum of Western American art to house his significant collection of paintings and bronzes by Frederic Remington and Charles M. Russell. The Amon Carter Museum of Western Art opened its doors in 1961 in what is now the cultural district of Fort Worth. The foundation continues to support the museum by dedicating one-half of its annual grant budget to it, along with funding various building improvements and additions to the permanent collection. The foundation also supports many other good works, primarily in Fort Worth and Tarrant County. In the early 1970s it participated in a clean-up and revitalization of downtown Fort Worth by facilitating the city's purchase of several blocks adjacent to a proposed convention center. The foundation commissioned New York architect Philip Johnson to design the Fort Worth Water Gardens and funded its construction as a gift to the city. In 1974, Carter Publications, the holding company for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, WBAP Radio, and WBAP-TV, sold its media interests. Because the foundation owned a portion of the stock of Carter Publications, the market value of the foundation almost doubled to slightly more than $82 million. By that time the foundation had made cumulative grants of more than $34 million. The Carter Foundation has played a significant role in most major projects in Fort Worth. It funds grants supporting the visual and performing arts, education, health care, social and human services, programs benefiting youth and the elderly, and civic and community endeavors. Among the major beneficiaries are Texas Christian University and the University of Texas, as well as many other organizations. As of December 31, 1993, the foundation had market value of $235,065,097 and had made charitable gifts totalling $177,020,939.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Ron Tyler, "AMON G. CARTER FOUNDATION," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/vra02), accessed February 23, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.