GEORGETOWN SPRINGS. Georgetown Springs is a group of more than twenty springs in and near San Gabriel Park, two miles northeast of Georgetown in central Williamson County (at 30°39' N, 97°41' W). The springwater flows from cavernous Edwards limestones. The surrounding rolling terrain is surfaced with clayey soils that support stands of cottonwood, pecan, and cypress trees. In 1841 the Texan Santa Fe expedition camped at the springs. On July 18, 1975, the three largest springs poured out nearly thirty-eight gallons per second. The springs have been a popular recreational area since at least 1879.
Gunnar Brune, Springs of Texas, Vol. 1 (Fort Worth: Branch-Smith, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Gunnar Brune, "GEORGETOWN SPRINGS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rpg01), accessed February 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.