CARRIZO SPRINGS. Carrizo Springs is a line of springs through the town of Carrizo Springs in Dimmit County (at 28°31' N, 99°52' W), named for the reeds that grow abundantly near Carrizo Creek. In 1689 the Spaniard Alonso De León probably refreshed himself at the springs while traveling to Fort St. Louis, usually presumed to have been in what is now Victoria County. Previously, many Coahuiltecan Indian villages were located at the springs. Irrigation wells have greatly lowered the water level in the Carrizo sand. The spring flow of moderately hard water declined radically in the twentieth century.
Gunnar Brune, Springs of Texas, Vol. 1 (Fort Worth: Branch-Smith, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Gunnar Brune, "CARRIZO SPRINGS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rpc07), accessed March 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.