LAKE GRAHAM. Lake Graham is on Farm Road 3003 two miles northwest of Graham in central Young County (centered at 33°08' N, 98°36' W). An earth dam was completed on Salt Creek in 1958 to provide a water supply for the town of Graham. The lake is fed by Briar, Mule Pen, and Willow branches and is also connected to Lake Eddleman. The dam is eighty-two feet high with a 1,050-foot-wide spillway. Normal capacity is 39,000 acre-feet; maximum capacity is 195,000 acre-feet. The lake was probably named for the brothers Edwin S. and Gustavus Graham, who purchased 125,000 acres of land near Graham in 1871. The local terrain consists of rolling hills, surfaced by clay and sandy loams that support scrub brush, cacti, grasses, live oak, and juniper.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."LAKE GRAHAM," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rol37), accessed March 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.