OLIVER CREEK. Oliver Creek rises two miles southeast of Decatur in eastern Wise County (at 33°13' N, 97°34' W) and flows southeasterly for twenty-two miles into Denton Creek one mile northeast of Justin (at 33°06' N, 97°17' W). One of thirty-two creeks that run through Denton County, Oliver Creek is located in the Grand Prairie region of the Eastern Cross Timbers of North Texas. Henry O. Hedgcoxe, land agent for the Texas Emigration and Land Company in the 1850s, named the creek after his son. John B. Denton, after whom the county is named, was buried near the mouth of Oliver Creek in 1841. The stream flows through clayey and loamy soils that support silver bluestem and Texas winter grasses; other vegetation consists primarily of live oak with some juniper and mesquite trees.
C. A. Bridges, History of Denton, Texas, from Its Beginning to 1960 (Waco: Texian Press, 1978). Mary Jo Cowling, Geography of Denton County (Dallas: Banks, Upshaw, 1936).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."OLIVER CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbo14), accessed February 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.