TEXAS MILITARY INSTITUTE, LLANO
TEXAS MILITARY INSTITUTE, LLANO. The Texas Military Institute, Llano, opened for classes on September 14, 1897. It was a successor to the Texas Military Institute, Austin, which had closed in 1879. The Rev. Charles P. Dorset was the first president of the Texas Military Institute, Llano. There were seven instructors at the school. The course of study lasted for four years. The school was housed in a three-story brick and red granite structure formerly known as the Algona Hotel until the building was damaged by a tornado in 1900. The school also had a gymnasium and an armory. These buildings were located on an eighteen-acre campus. Tuition and fees totaled $250 for thirty-six weeks of instruction. Chapel attendance was required of all cadets. The preparatory school provided instruction in military and academic subjects. The school closed sometime during the first half of the twentieth century.
Tillie Badu Moss Fry, A History of Llano County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1943). Texas Military Institute, Llano, Texas, Military and Academic School for Boys: A Prospectus, 1897–1898.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Nancy Beck Young, "TEXAS MILITARY INSTITUTE, LLANO," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbt18), accessed March 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.