PATROON COLLEGE. In March 1892 Julia E. Tillman, administrator of the estate of Joseph Tillman, deeded two acres of land in Patroon, Shelby County, to the trustees of the Patroon School Community. A building was constructed on this site, and Patroon College was opened in September of 1893. The two men who ran the college initially, D. A. Leak and R. H. Bonham, were both graduates of Add-Ran College and prominent members of the Christian Church, but the school's connection with the church is not clear. The school offered instruction at every level from elementary through college, and at its height had an enrollment of 300 students. In 1895 Leak left the school and was replaced by L. L. Sams, a Baptist minister. The school was closed after the 1897 school year.
Colby D. Hall, Texas Disciples (Fort Worth: Texas Christian University Press, 1953).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "PATROON COLLEGE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbp07), accessed February 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.