PHEARS, TEXAS. Phears is a rural community in Lee County three miles northwest of Lexington and three miles west of U.S. Highway 77. The settlement was named for Betty Phears, who donated one acre of land for a school in 1898. During the 1905–06 school year the one-room school had twenty-three students. In the mid-1930s the settlement had the school, a cemetery, and a few scattered dwellings. In 1938 the school was consolidated with the Lexington Independent School District. The school building was used for Baptist, Methodist, Church of Christ, and Mormon services. By the early 1980s only a cemetery marked the site of the community, and no population estimates were available.
Lee County Historical Survey Committee, A History of Lee County (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1974).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "PHEARS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvpat), accessed February 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.