ONTARIO, TEXAS. Ontario was located in southern Oldham County two miles west of Vega. It was platted in 1908 by T. Carrabine and Company of Kansas on the Chicago, Rock Island and Gulf Railway line. A hotel, a general store, and several residences were built, and a post office was opened. The site suffered, however, from a lack of well water. Since none could be found, water had to be hauled to the town. Consequently, Ontario was short-lived. Its general store and residences were moved to Vega, and the hotel later burned. The post office was discontinued in May 1912. Remains of the town's foundations may still be seen west of Vega.
Oldham County Historical Commission, Oldham County (Dallas: Taylor, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.H. Allen Anderson, "ONTARIO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvo45), accessed March 05, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.