MANESTEE, TEXAS. In 1888 W. B. Cain, a rancher, applied for a post office for the town of Edge Hill, in north central Tom Green County near the Coke county line. The petition stated that the post office would serve about 100 people. The name Manestee was finally chosen for the town. The post office was built on John R. Cawley's land, and Cain was appointed postmaster and served till 1893. The town had a school and was on a cattle trail and stage line. The post office was discontinued in 1898 and the mail sent to Robert Lee. The post office building was a small wooden structure which in later years was used as a henhouse. In 1988 only a stone chimney and a small cemetery remained.
San Angelo Standard Times, December 3, 1967.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Betty Jane Smith, "MANESTEE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvmcb), accessed March 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.