LIGHTNER, TEXAS. Lightner was a station on the Fort Worth and Rio Grande Railway (later the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe) in southeastern Concho County, fifteen miles southeast of Eden. The Lightner community was established about 1911, when the railroad built through the area, and had a post office from 1911 to 1918. Lightner had a grocery store and a population of thirty-five in 1914. By 1936 the community consisted of a dwelling and a few farm buildings, and by 1960 only the name of the locale remained.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mary M. Standifer, "LIGHTNER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvl54), accessed February 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.