EXILE, TEXAS. Exile, named for its supposed distance from any settled area, was near the junction of Mare Creek and the Dry Frio River at the Uvalde-Real county line. A post office was established there in 1890 on the ranch of stock raiser W. C. Lee, who served as the first postmaster. In 1896 the one-teacher Exile school had an enrollment of fifty-six. The Exile Missionary Baptist Church, organized in 1906, held its services at the school. In 1915 this church changed its name to the Dry Frio Baptist Church and moved several miles south of Exile to the Heard community school. Exile appears to have been abandoned by 1946.
A Proud Heritage: A History of Uvalde County (Uvalde, Texas: El Progreso Club, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Ruben E. Ochoa, "EXILE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hve43), accessed March 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Modified on September 13, 2011. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.