BYSPOT, TEXAS. Byspot was eighteen miles southeast of Coldspring in southwestern San Jacinto County. The post office, established in 1899, was called Teddy. About 1903, however, J. O. H. Bennett changed the community's name to Byspot, a name derived from spelling his wife Topsy's name backwards and adding a B. Bennett also owned and operated a tram railroad at Byspot, an indication that the area was once the site of logging operations. The railroad, which extended to Conroe, was taken over by the Delta Land and Timber Company in 1926. The post office had been discontinued in 1921, and the tram road was abandoned in 1931. The community did not appear on 1985 county highway maps or on United States Geological Survey place name lists.
Ruth Hansbro, History of San Jacinto County (M.A. thesis, Sam Houston State Teachers College, 1940).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "BYSPOT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvbay), accessed March 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.