GURLEY, TEXAS. Gurley, a stop on the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway in Falls County, was the home of the railroad crew and section foreman, and a loading point for cotton and timber. It was named for Edward J. Gurley, a prominent Waco lawyer who received a substantial number of acres in the area as payment for legal services. The community once had a store, and a sawmill was on the Brazos River nearby. Gurley had a post office from 1891 to 1911. In 1904, the only year for which a statistic was available, Gurley's population was estimated at 138. The 1948 county highway map showed a few dwellings at Gurley on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad eight miles northwest of Marlin in northern Falls County, but the 1970 map showed nothing at the site.
Marlin Daily Democrat, November 7, 1938. A Memorial and Biographical History of McLennan, Falls, Bell, and Coryell Counties (Chicago: Lewis, 1893; rpt., St. Louis: Ingmire, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Jean Warner Epperson, "GURLEY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htg16), accessed March 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.