FLEWELLEN, TEXAS. Flewellen, near the intersection of Farm roads 359, 1093, and 1463, twelve miles northwest of Richmond in northwestern Fort Bend County, appears to have been named after an early settler. The community sits on land that was originally included in the eastern part of Stephen F. Austin's colony. Following the Civil War a gristmill served the surrounding farms. In the mid-1930s Flewellen reported fifty inhabitants and one business and was served by a metal-surfaced road and the Texas and New Orleans Railroad. The town still had fifty citizens and one business in 1948, but that year is the last for which population statistics are available. In the 1980s Flewellen still was shown on county highway maps.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Stephen L. Hardin, "FLEWELLEN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htf04), accessed February 24, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.