REHOBETH, TEXAS. Rehobeth, a rural community four miles north of Carthage on U. S. Highway 59 in central Panola County, was settled after the Civil War. The first school was built prior to 1878. In that year John Wesley Biggs and his wife Mary Ann deeded land for a Methodist church, a new school, and a cemetery. In the mid-1930s Rehobeth had a school, a store, a church, a cemetery, and a number of houses. In the 1940s the school was consolidated with the Carthage school, but in the mid-1960s a church, a cemetery, and a few scattered dwellings still remained in the area. The original church burned in 1978 and was replaced by a new building. In the early 1990s a church and a cemetery still marked the site of the community. No population estimates were available.
John Barnette Sanders, Index to the Cemeteries of Panola County (Center, Texas, 1964). Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "REHOBETH, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrrja), accessed February 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.