PIERCES CHAPEL, TX
PIERCES CHAPEL, TEXAS. Pierces (Pierce's) Chapel is on Farm Road 747 fourteen miles northwest of Rusk in western Cherokee County. The community grew up around a Methodist church named for Bishop George F. Pierce, who preached there during the 1860s on his way to the annual state conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. An early school was established in the church, and a separate schoolhouse was later built nearby. In 1896 the local one-teacher school had an enrollment of forty-seven. During the mid-1930s the community comprised the school, a church, and a number of houses. The school was later closed, but in the 1980s there were still two churches and a store in the area.
Cherokee County History (Jacksonville, Texas: Cherokee County Historical Commission, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "PIERCES CHAPEL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrpzq), accessed February 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.