PATONIA, TEXAS. Patonia is on Farm Road 3152 ninety miles north of Houston in west central Polk County. The earliest permanent settlers moved into the area during the 1840s and established a cluster of small rural communities known collectively as the Louisiana Settlement. Patonia was named for Brantley M. Pate, who secured a post office for one of the little communities in 1912. In addition to his duties as postmaster, Pate also operated a turpentine distillery in the area, one of many such lumber-related industries present in Polk County during the era. Although the post office was closed by 1941, a few scattered residences remained as of 1984.
A Pictorial History of Polk County, Texas, 1846–1910 (Livingston, Texas: Polk County Bicentennial Commission, 1976; rev. ed. 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "PATONIA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrp10), accessed March 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.