NIMROD, TX (EASTLAND COUNTY)
NIMROD, TEXAS (Eastland County). Nimrod, on Farm Road 569 in west central Eastland County, was first settled in 1876 by a group that included Ira Townsend and William M. Munn. The town may have been called Monroe and Curtis until a post office was granted in 1885 and the name was changed to Nimrod for a biblical character. Munn was the first postmaster and ran a general store. A fire in 1907 left only two buildings standing, and two years later a tornado spared only a grocery store, a gin, a school, and seven or eight homes. The population fluctuated from 150 in 1915 to forty in 1947 to eighty-five in 1980. By 1969 the gin and post office had been closed and the school consolidated with other rural schools. In 2000 the population remained at eighty-five.
Ruby Pearl Ghormley, Eastland County, Texas: A Historical and Biographical Survey (Austin: Rupegy, 1969).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Noel Wiggins, "NIMROD, TX (EASTLAND COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrn22), accessed February 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.