MAYNARD, TEXAS. Maynard is on State Highway 150 sixty miles north of Houston in western San Jacinto County. Frank J. Cooper owned the first store there, and a post office was established in 1880. In 1900 the population was 127, but it had fallen to 100 by the mid-1920s, and the post office was discontinued in 1929. Though a number of blacks remained settled at the agricultural community, the population of Maynard fell to twenty-five shortly after World War II. By the mid-1960s Maynard had disappeared from lists of Texas towns and communities. It nonetheless remained the site of scattered buildings, two churches, and two cemeteries. New developments, sparked by the local discovery of natural gas and by the general growth of San Jacinto County, were also evident during the 1960s and early 1970s. In 1990 the population was twenty-five. The population grew to 150 by 2000.
Ruth Hansbro, History of San Jacinto County (M.A. thesis, Sam Houston State Teachers College, 1940).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "MAYNARD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrm24), accessed March 06, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.