LUMBER, TEXAS. Lumber was a rural post office and timber-processing community on the Missouri, Kansas and Texas line eight miles northwest of Jefferson and 3½ miles southeast of Lassater in western Marion County. The post office was opened in 1890 and was probably named for the dominant product of the community. In 1892 Lumber comprised an estimated 100 inhabitants; it also had a general store and a saw and planing mill, both run by W. K. Henderson. W. P. Jennison was the postmaster. In 1904 the Lumber post office closed, and the community disappeared sometime thereafter, as there was no trace of it on the 1936 county highway map.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "LUMBER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrl76), accessed March 05, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.