JERUSALEM, TX (FREESTONE COUNTY)
JERUSALEM, TEXAS (Freestone County). Jerusalem, on the banks of Upper Keechi Creek five miles southeast of Teague in west central Freestone County, had a school for black students by 1891. In 1893 the school had sixty-seven pupils enrolled, but by 1903 it had only seven. The community also had the Jerusalem Church. In the 1930s Jerusalem had a church, a cemetery, and a number of dwellings. The church and the cemetery remained at the site in the late 1980s.
Freestone County Historical Commission, History of Freestone County, Texas (Fairfield, Texas, 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Chris Cravens, "JERUSALEM, TX (FREESTONE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrj25), accessed March 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.