JOPPA, TEXAS. Joppa, on Farm Road 210 and the North Fork of the San Gabriel River, seven miles northeast of Bertram in Burnet County, was first called Pool Branch, after a nearby pool formed by a waterfall. At that pool in the 1880s were a cotton gin and a mill; just southeast of the gin were a store and a blacksmith shop. On August 31, 1881, J. S. and Jane Danford of Delaware County, Iowa, gave two acres of land on the north bank of the North Gabriel to be held in trust for a school and a church. The school building was constructed at once and used for classes and church services. Worship was held in the schoolhouse until 1913, when a church building was erected. The local school, the church, and the locality were called Pool Branch until 1891, when the community secured a post office, and the people agreed on the Biblical name Joppa. On May 19, 1904, a telephone line was installed in Joppa. An iron bridge was built across the San Gabriel River in 1907 and was still in use in 1989. The area received electricity in 1939 from the Pedernales Electric Cooperative. The school was consolidated with the Bertram district in 1942. Friday and Saturday night socials and Sunday night singings culminated in an annual picnic as late as the 1930s. The church and school buildings were still used in the 1980s for church and community activities. In 2000 the population was thirty-four.
Darrell Debo, Burnet County History (2 vols., Burnet, Texas: Eakin, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Estelle Bryson, "JOPPA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrj16), accessed March 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.