HILLSIDE, TEXAS. Hillside was on Farm Road 2837 five miles northeast of Lorena in southern McLennan County. It developed when several families settled on land that was once part of Charles Conger's farm, known as Hillside. A post office was established there in 1891 with Newton A. Conger as postmaster; the office was discontinued in 1903. In 1892 the community reported a general store, a hotel, and 100 residents. By the mid-1890s Hillside had two general stores, a flour mill, and a gin, but its population had fallen to seventy-five. Hillside had a population of ten in the 1930s and twenty-five in the mid-1940s. A few scattered houses marked the community on the 1948 county highway map, but no evidence of Hillside was shown on the 1989 map.
Dayton Kelley, ed., The Handbook of Waco and McLennan County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1972). William Robert Poage, McLennan County Before 1980 (Waco: Texian, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "HILLSIDE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrhye), accessed March 05, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.