HAWTHORNE, TEXAS. Hawthorne, on Farm Road 2778 some sixteen miles southeast of Huntsville in Walker County, was named for the hawthorn bushes that flourished in the area. The community was served by a post office from 1902 to 1919; J. L. Gustine was postmaster in 1914. By 1911 Hawthorne had a school with classes through the seventh grade, and in 1914 the town had a population estimated at twenty-five and a general store, drugstore, and gin. In 1929 the Hawthorne school and two other area schools consolidated with those of nearby New Waverly. Around 1936 Hawthorne had a lodge, a community school, a seasonal industry, two gravel pits, two churches, and numerous dwellings. By the 1940s the community comprised two businesses and a school. A cluster of churches served the surrounding rural area in 1990.
D'Anne McAdams Crews, ed., Huntsville and Walker County, Texas: A Bicentennial History (Huntsville, Texas: Sam Houston State University, 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.James L. Hailey, "HAWTHORNE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrh21), accessed February 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.