GLASS, TX (SOMERVELL COUNTY)
GLASS, TEXAS (Somervell County). Glass is at the intersection of U.S. Highway 67 and Farm Road 203, four miles southwest of Glen Rose in southwestern Somervell County. Settlement of the community probably took place in the 1890s. When a post office was established there in 1904, John D. Sanders, proprietor of both the general store and a cotton gin, was appointed postmaster. By 1910 Glass had an estimated sixty residents; that number declined to twenty-five by 1920 and to ten by 1933. Rural delivery from Glen Rose replaced the Glass post office in 1926. Glass reported fifty residents from 1939 to the late 1960s, after which no further population statistics were available. The 1983 county highway map showed Glass with one business at its site.
W. C. Nunn, Somervell: Story of a Texas County (Fort Worth: Texas Christian University Press, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor and Kathy Edwards, "GLASS, TX (SOMERVELL COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrg16), accessed March 06, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.