DULL'S RANCH, TX
DULL'S RANCH, TEXAS. Dull's Ranch (Dulls Ranch or the Dull Ranch), formerly known as Waugh's Rancho and as Jahuey Ranch, was a ranching headquarters and rural post office fifteen miles northeast of Cotulla and just north of Cibolo Creek in north central La Salle County. The place was originally named for William A. Waugh, the first white settler of La Salle County and the original owner of the ranch. During the 1870s he maintained a large herd of cattle in the area between Cibolo Creek and the Frio River. Waugh's ranch headquarters, on the road between San Antonio and Laredo, became a stopping place for travelers. A store was established at the site, and the place became a center of activity in the area. In 1879 it was granted a post office called Waugh's Rancho. During the 1880s Waugh's land was apparently purchased by James J. and Andrew J. Dull, two wealthy brothers from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, who put together a vast ranching enterprise. In 1889 the name of the post office at Waugh's old ranching headquarters was changed to Dull's Ranch; in 1909 the post office closed. The Dull brothers sold their holdings in 1901, and by 1910 much of the land had been developed into towns such as Los Angeles and Fowlerton.
Stanley D. Casto, Settlement of the Cibolo-Nueces Strip: A Partial History of La Salle County (Hillsboro, Texas: Hill Junior College Press, 1969). Annette Martin Ludeman, La Salle: La Salle County (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.John Leffler, "DULL'S RANCH, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrdnm), accessed March 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.