DAVY, TEXAS. Davy, a farming community in northwestern DeWitt County near the Karnes county line, developed its community focus with the 1886 establishment of the Davy school on Salt Creek, on land donated by Fred House in June 1885 for school and church purposes. At that time the House cemetery already existed nearby. The community's business district developed about 1½ miles north of this area. A Davy post office operated from 1895 until about 1938. By 1915 the settlement had 100 residents, two stores, and a blacksmith shop, and also had a telephone connection and a daily stage to Yorktown, the nearest banking and shipping point, eleven miles away. In the 1920s and early 1930s only about twenty people lived in Davy, though by 1940 some 125 residents and five businesses were reported there. The community declined after World War II, and by 1950 reported only twenty residents and one business, a tally that remained constant until the mid-1960s, after which no further population figures were reported. The Davy school closed in 1950. The 1984 county highway map designates the former Davy business district as Davy Community, and labels the settlement's original site, 1½ miles south (the former location of the Davy school), as New Davy. New Davy, located on State Highway 119 from Yorktown to Nixon, had one business in 1984. That year both the old and new sites also had a number of residences. New Davy had a population of twenty in 2000.
Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Craig H. Roell, "DAVY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrd13), accessed March 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.