CAPOTE, TEXAS. Capote (Capoti) was a rural school community on Farm Road 466 about ten miles southeast of Seguin in southeastern Guadalupe County. Hiram Wilson, a former slave, established a pottery business in Capote in 1869. He also founded the Capote Baptist Church. Wilson died in 1884, but other ex-slaves continued to run the pottery until 1903. Pottery from Capote turned up in many areas of southwestern Texas (see WILSON POTTERIES). In 1904 Capote had three one-teacher schools for forty-four white students, and three schools and four teachers for 137 black students. There were a few scattered houses and a cemetery in the area in 1946; by the mid-1980s only a church and a cemetery marked the community on county highway maps.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "CAPOTE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcbw), accessed March 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.