BIG HEAD VILLAGE, TX
BIG HEAD VILLAGE, TEXAS. Big Head (Bighead) Village, one of the earliest settlements in Gregg County, was located east of Big Head Creek near the site of the later Presbyterian church at New Danville, on the northeastern edge of the site of present Kilgore. The name of the community is believed to have come from a Cherokee word, but it is unclear whether Big Head was established by Indians. Maps show a settlement at the site as early as the mid-1840s, and the community is mentioned in a document as late as 1850. By the 1860s the settlement had disappeared, and no trace remains.
Eugene W. McWhorter, Traditions of the Land: The History of Gregg County (Longview, Texas: Gregg County Historical Foundation, 1989).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "BIG HEAD VILLAGE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrbst), accessed February 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.