ARDEN, TEXAS. Arden, on Rocky Creek in northeastern Irion County, was named for John and Katie Arden, who settled a claim at the site by 1885. The community acquired a post office in 1890 with W. P. Moore as postmaster. A local public school was established in 1892. Two short-lived schools had operated before this in the Arden district, one on Rocky Creek and the other at Sawyer. In 1915 Arden had a post office, a school, a church, and a population of fourteen. In 1947, when the community had one business and thirty residents, the Arden school was consolidated with that of Mertzon. All of the businesses had been abandoned as of 1966, except for a polling place used to preserve precinct lines. The passing of the school, low cotton prices, drought, and better opportunities in nearby larger towns were the primary causes for the decline of Arden. The population in 2000 was only one. Since 1952 an Arden reunion has been held each Labor Day on Rocky Creek.
Irion County Historical Society, A History of Irion County, Texas (San Angelo: Anchor, 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Tracey L. Compton, "ARDEN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hra48), accessed February 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.