AKRON, TEXAS. Akron, also known as Lavender and Holly, was on Ray's Creek five miles north of Tyler in central Smith County. It was established in 1877 as a station on the Tyler Tap Railroad. In 1936 it consisted only of a station and two dwellings north of Pleasant Grove School on a graded and drained dirt road. The community no longer appeared on government survey maps by the 1960s.
"Post Offices and Postmasters of Smith County, Texas: 1847–1929," Chronicles of Smith County, Spring 1966. Smith County Historical Society, Historical Atlas of Smith County (Tyler, Texas: Tyler Print Shop, 1965). Albert Woldert, A History of Tyler and Smith County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1948).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "AKRON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hra17), accessed February 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.