ROCK CREEK, TX (SOMERVELL COUNTY)
ROCK CREEK, TEXAS (Somervell County). Rock Creek is a small rural community located near the junction of Farm roads 56 and 202 about four miles southeast of Glen Rose in southern Somervell County. The settlement was probably named for nearby Rock Creek, and the Rock Creek School operated by the 1880s. At that time the Pleasant Hill Baptist Church relocated to the school building. Around the early 1900s the Lower Rock Creek School and the Upper Rock Creek School served farming families in the vicinity. By the 1930s the community had one elementary school, the church, and a nearby cemetery. In the mid-1940s, with a total attendance of less than twenty students, the Rock Creek School was consolidated with the Glen Rose School District. The Baptist church was officially renamed the Rock Creek Baptist Church in the 1950s, and a new church building was constructed. It continued to operate throughout the twentieth century. In 2000 Rock Creek had a population of thirty-eight.
W. C. Nunn, Somervell: Story of a Texas County (Fort Worth: Texas Christian University Press, 1975). Somervell County Centennial, 1875–1975 (Glen Rose: Somervell County Centennial Association, Historical Booklet Committee, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Laurie E. Jasinski, "ROCK CREEK, TX (SOMERVELL COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnr62), accessed March 06, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.