OSCAR, TEXAS. Oscar, which was also known as Jones Gin, is on Little Elm Creek and Farm Road 3117 six miles east of Temple in eastern Bell County. It was founded by Czechs in the late nineteenth century and had a post office from 1892 to 1904. In 1896 Oscar reported a population of 115, a cotton gin, a hotel, a general store, a blacksmith, and a barber. The community declined thereafter and had forty residents, two businesses, and a school by 1946. In 1990 Oscar reported a population of forty and no businesses. The population remained the same in 2000.
Temple Daily Telegram, April 17,1936.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "OSCAR, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hno18), accessed March 06, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.