CURRIE, TX (NAVARRO COUNTY)
CURRIE, TEXAS (Navarro County). Currie is on State Highway 14 near its junction with Farm Road 641, twenty-five miles south of Corsicana in south central Navarro County. It is made up of two earlier communities, Center Point and Rabbit Hill. The Houston and Texas Central Railway passed through the community in 1871. In 1883 the town was little more than two or three farms. Currie had a post office from 1901 to 1907. The town had become almost nonexistent until a revival in the 1920s. Oil was discovered in the immediate area, and the post office was reestablished in 1921. This boom was short, but Currie managed to retain a population of 125 in 1958. The post office had been closed again by that date. The population had dropped to twenty-five by 1970 and remained at that level through 2000, when a few homes and oil pumps still stood.
Annie Carpenter Love, History of Navarro County (Dallas: Southwestern, 1933). Alva Taylor, History and Photographs of Corsicana and Navarro County (Corsicana, Texas, 1959; rev. ed., Navarro County History and Photographs, Corsicana, 1962). Charles P. Zlatkovich, Texas Railroads (Austin: University of Texas Bureau of Business Research, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Brian Bruckner, "CURRIE, TX (NAVARRO COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hncat), accessed February 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.