CRISP, TEXAS. Crisp is on Farm Road 660 ten miles east of Waxahachie in east central Ellis County. It was named for Charles F. Crisp, a speaker of the United States House of Representatives. The community was settled in the late 1880s or early 1890s, and a post office opened there in 1892. Crisp's population was not reported as more than 100 until the mid-1920s, when it was estimated at 120; it was reported at that level through the mid-1960s. In the late 1960s, however, the number of residents began to decline, and had fallen to ninety by 1968. Crisp's population was still reported as ninety in 1990.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "CRISP, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hncak), accessed March 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.