HASLET, TEXAS. Haslet is on Farm Road 156 some sixteen miles northwest of Fort Worth in extreme north central Tarrant County. The area was settled around 1880, but it is likely that no distinct community formed until 1883, when the tracks of the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway were extended through the area. A post office opened there in 1887. The community was named for the Michigan hometown of the railroad's contractor. In 1896 the community had a school with twenty-one students and one teacher. Ten years later the Haslet school had twenty-five students. Haslet's population was sixty-seven in 1903 and fifty in 1915. During the 1920s Haslet had three grocery stores as well as a hardware store, dry goods store, and cotton gin. It reported a population of sixty-nine in the mid-1930s. The availability of war-related employment in Fort Worth probably contributed to the growth of Haslet's population to 175 by the late 1940s. It maintained this population through the 1950s, and in the mid-1960s, by which point it had incorporated, Haslet had a population of 250 and seven businesses. In 1976 it had 276 residents and five businesses. By 1990 Haslet, a commuter community for Fort Worth, had 795 residents and some twelve businesses. In 2000 the population was 1,134.
Historic Resources Survey: Selected Tarrant County Communities (Fort Worth: Historic Preservation Council for Tarrant County, 1990). Kathleen E. and Clifton R. St. Clair, eds., Little Towns of Texas (Jacksonville, Texas: Jayroe Graphic Arts, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Brian Hart, "HASLET, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlh32), accessed March 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.