EVERMAN, TEXAS. Everman is an incorporated residential community on the southern edge of Fort Worth near U.S. Highway 820 in southeastern Tarrant County. Members of the Kiowa-Apache and Wichita tribes inhabited the area until the arrival of Anglo-Americans in the early to middle 1850s. A hamlet named Oak Grove existed in the area for several years. Upon the arrival of the International-Great Northern Railroad in 1904, a more established community developed and was named for an engineer of the railroad, John W. Everman. In 1905 postal service to the settlement began, and in 1906 Everman established an independent school district. In 1917 the community was one of three sites selected to serve as a flight training school for the Canadian Royal Flying Corps and the United States Signal Corps, Aviation Section. Barron Field, just outside the city, stimulated the local economy and increased population growth. By the mid-1920s Everman had eight businesses and an estimated population of 138. In 1976 the Barron Munitions Building, which after the war had served as a schoolhouse for African-American schoolchildren, was awarded a Texas Historical Commission marker. In the mid-1950s the community had a population of 450. After the nearby Dallas-Fort Worth International Airportqv was constructed, the number of residents at Everman increased to more than 5,000 by the mid-1970s. Everman adopted the council-manager form of city government in 1986. In 1990 the community had 5,672 residents. In 2000 the population was 5,836.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "EVERMAN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hfe03), accessed March 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.