COPPER BREAKS STATE PARK
COPPER BREAKS STATE PARK. Copper Breaks State Park, on the Pease River and State Highway 6 twelve miles south of Quanah in Hardeman County, was established in 1970. From its original 1,889 acres, this scenic area has been expanded to nearly 1,933 acres featuring rugged canyons and a seventy-acre lake made by an earthen dam. "Breaks" refers to the fractures and faults that define the limited waterways of the park. Small amounts of copper, insufficient for commercial purposes, can be found in the area clay. Facilities for picnicking, camping, swimming, boating, fishing, hiking, and horseback riding are provided. A small historical museum exhibit is available, and a portion of the official Texas longhorn herd is maintained in the park, which is located near the historic Medicine Mounds and the site of Cynthia Ann Parker's recapture in December 1860.
Ross A. Maxwell, Geologic and Historic Guide to the Texas State Parks (Bureau of Economic Geology, University of Texas at Austin, 1970). George Oxford Miller, Texas Parks and Campgrounds: Central, South, and West Texas (Austin: Texas Monthly Press, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.H. Allen Anderson, "COPPER BREAKS STATE PARK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/gkc04), accessed March 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.