OLD FORT PARKER STATE HISTORIC SITE
OLD FORT PARKER STATE HISTORIC SITE. Old Fort Parker State Historic Site is off State Highway 14 eleven miles south of Mexia in Limestone County. The 37.5-acre park features a replica of the Fort Parker stockade built by Elder John Parker and some of his relatives and friends in 1834. Private owners deeded the land to the state in 1933, and a replica fort was constructed for the Texas Centennial celebration in 1936. After the first model fort fell into disrepair, another replica was built with cedar logs from Buescher State Park in Smithville in 1967. Facilities include picnic and camping areas, a dining hall, restrooms, and showers.
Ray Miller, Texas Parks (Houston: Cordovan, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "OLD FORT PARKER STATE HISTORIC SITE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/gho01), accessed March 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.