HOGG, ANDREW [SMOKEY]
HOGG, ANDREW [SMOKEY] (1914–1960). Blues singer and guitarist Andrew “Smokey” Hogg was born on January 27, 1914, near Westconnie, Texas. Hogg learned to play guitar from his father, Frank Hogg. During the 1930s, Smokey Hogg performed at a variety of dance halls throughout East Texas with well-known slide guitarist Babe Kyro Lemon Turner, known as Black Ace. Hogg also played in several Houston-area clubs, both with blues guitarist Lightnin’ Hopkins and with zydeco legend Cleveland Chenier.
In 1937 Hogg recorded two songs in Dallas for Decca Records, “Family Trouble Blues” and “Kind Hearted Blues.” Hogg would not record again for another decade. In the 1940s he married, served for a time in the military, and eventually pursued his music in Dallas, where he began to perform again publicly by the late 1940s. He quickly re-established his reputation as a talented musician. In 1947 he recorded for Dallas-based Blue Bonnet Records, which then leased his tracks to Modern Records. Hogg’s version of the Big Bill Broonzy song “Too Many Drivers” led to recording more songs in Los Angeles for the Modern label, including “Long Tall Mama” in 1948 and “Little School Girl” in 1949. Hogg also recorded for many other labels, including Exclusive, Bullet, Macy’s, Imperial, Mercury, Specialty, Fidelity, Combo, Federal, and Show Time. He died from cancer or possibly a ruptured ulcer on May 1, 1960, in McKinney, Texas.
William Barlow, Looking Up at Down: The Emergence of Blues Culture (Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 1989). Michael Erlewine, et al.,eds., AMG All Music Guide to the Blues: The Expert’s Guide to the Best Blues Recordings (2nd ed., San Francisco: Miller Freeman, 1999). Smokey Hogg discography (http://www.wirz.de/music/hoggfrm.htm), accessed June 24, 2009.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Shaun Stalzer, "HOGG, ANDREW [SMOKEY]," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fhocr), accessed March 04, 2015. Uploaded on May 28, 2013. Modified on June 10, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.