GRICE, FRANK (1847–1907). Frank Grice, newspaper owner and journalist, was born in North Georgetown, Ohio, on August 1, 1847. In 1854 he moved with his family to a farm near Fairfield, Illinois. Shortly after his fifteenth birthday, in August 1862, Grice joined the 111th Illinois Infantry as an orderly to the regimental commander, Col. James S. Martin. He took part in several battles and was with Gen. William T. Sherman on his infamous March to the Sea.
After the war Grice worked as a printer for two years in Springfield, Illinois, and in 1868 moved to Kansas City, Missouri, where he served as a reporter and city editor for a local paper. He moved to San Antonio in January 1877 and accepted a position as city editor at the San Antonio Express (see SAN ANTONIO EXPRESS-NEWS). He soon worked his way up to editor in chief, and a few years after arriving in San Antonio he and E. A. Siceluff purchased the paper. In 1882 Grice bought out Siceluff and became the sole owner.
During his tenure as publisher and editor the Express followed a policy of conservative independence and nonpartisan politics. Its advertisers were chiefly Republican, and its subscribers prevailingly Democratic, a situation that prompted one observer to quip that "the Express [was] Democratic six days a week and Republican on Sunday." During the 1880s and 1890s Grice was able to make the Express one of the leading newspapers in the Southwest. He was known for "possessing a virile and caustic pen," but earned a reputation among the paper's employees as a kind and just employer. Grice married Isabella Bonsal of Philadelphia on February 4, 1883; they had a daughter. He died on January 20, 1907, at Hot Wells Sanatorium in San Antonio after a long illness.
Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "GRICE, FRANK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fgr58), accessed February 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.