DAVIS, ANDREW (1827–1906). Andrew Davis, Methodist minister, the son of Nancy (McKelvey) and Daniel Davis, was born on March 10, 1827, in Jonesborough, in the area of present Red River County, Texas. He spent his early life in Tenaha, Shelby County, and at Fort Lyday near the site of present Honey Grove, Fannin County. He entered McKenzie College about 1841 and on October 12, 1844, was licensed to preach in the Methodist Church. In December 1847 he married Maria S. Linn at Clarksville. He served in various circuits in Northeast Texas, later became a member of the Northwest Texas Conference, and about 1878 was appointed presiding elder of the Stephenville District. He was at one time a trustee of Southwestern University. Davis died on February 13, 1906, and was buried in Oakwood Cemetery, Corsicana.
R. L. Jones, "Folk Life in Early Texas: The Autobiography of Andrew Davis," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 43 (October 1939, January 1940). Methodist Episcopal Church, South, Journal of the Northwest Texas Conference, 1906.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Carolyn Hyman, "DAVIS, ANDREW," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fda33), accessed March 06, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.