CUMINGS, JOHN (?–1839). John Cumings, one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists and one of seven sons of Anthony and Rebekah R. Cumings, was a successful businessman in Austin's colony who also served as an emissary from Austin to the Cherokee Indians. He had been a captain of militia in Lewis County, Kentucky, in 1811. He received title to a league of land now in Brazoria County on July 2, 1824. However, he made his residence with other family members on Palmetto (later Mill) Creek seven miles north of San Felipe. John and his brothers James and William Cumingsqqv entered into a contract to construct a gristmill and a sawmill on the creek in 1825. The 1826 census lists John as between twenty-five and forty-five years old, unmarried, with three slaves. On at least two occasions Stephen F. Austin dispatched him as an emissary to the Cherokees; one of these was Austin's attempt to dissuade the Indians from taking part in the Fredonian Rebellion in Nacogdoches in the winter of 1826–27. James died in 1824 and left the mills and a five-league grant to be divided between William and John. William died in 1828. By 1832 John and his sister, Rebecca, were managing the mills as well as an inn at the San Felipe-Washington crossing on Mill Creek. John continued in these endeavors until his death on April 22, 1839. He never married.
Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin (James Cumings, John Cumings).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Tim Cumings, "CUMINGS, JOHN," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fcu12), accessed February 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.