MASHED O RANCH [#2]
MASHED O RANCH (#2). A second Mashed O brand, apparently independent of the Halsells, was registered in 1891 by W. P. H. McFaddin in Jefferson and Chambers counties. It was taken in 1916 to McFaddin's Hereford ranch in Knox and King counties, with headquarters southwest of Benjamin. Until 1921 McFaddin also grazed Mashed O Herefords in Hall and Motley counties, but he later sold that pasture. For thirty-seven years he ran Brahman cattle on his properties near the Gulf Coast and Herefords in the semiarid lower Plains region. By 1929 around 25,000 head of cattle bore McFaddin's Mashed O; this number was slightly reduced to 15,000 head by 1936, on a total of some 150,000 acres. The operation was continued by McFaddin's son, W. P., Jr., and then the McFaddin Trust Company at Beaumont, beginning in 1927.
Gus L. Ford, ed., Texas Cattle Brands (Dallas: Cockrell, 1936). Mondel Rogers, Old Ranches of the Texas Plains (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1976). Jesse Wallace Williams, The Big Ranch Country (Wichita Falls: Terry, 1954; 2d ed., Wichita Falls: Nortex, 1971).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.H. Allen Anderson, "MASHED O RANCH [#2]," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/apm12), accessed February 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.